1. Replace your flavored yogurt with 0% fat Greek yogurt and make a fun flavorful fruit parfait. Simply take a tall glass, and layer to create an elegant unique breakfast. This is great for the whole family, have the kids join in! Add a bottom layer of Greek yogurt and add mixed berries or fruit of choice on top. Repeat until the glass or container is full. For added crunch without the added carbohydrates, try chopped walnuts or almonds instead of granola.
2. Create sweet or savory dips. Replace full fat, high calorie sour cream with 0% fat Greek yogurt. For a great side item to your favorite raw vegetables, try taking a small container of 0% fat Greek yogurt and mixing it with a quarter of a seasoning pack or try shaking no sodium spices, such as Mrs. Dash™, into the yogurt, flavoring it to your liking. For a sweeter fruit dip, add a no calorie sweetener or agave and mix it in your Greek yogurt. Top with cinnamon for a sweet treat!
3. Replace high-fat, high-calorie mayonnaise with 0% fat Greek yogurt for all your favorite salads, like chicken salad, egg salad or tuna salad. If you do not want to cut out all the mayonnaise completely, simply reduce it and replace the rest with Greek yogurt. This will still save calories!
4. Use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream on your baked potatoes, or top your quesadilla with Greek yogurt instead of sour cream to decrease the saturated (bad) fat and add more calcium to your diet.
5. Make a delicious creamy soup without all the fat and calories from cream or half & half! For a soup that will be talked about for months, simply roast your choice of vegetables with olive oil and seasoning in oven for 30 minutes on 350 degrees. Place in blender with chicken or vegetable broth and, instead of adding cream or cheese, use 0% fat Greek yogurt. Blend well, and that’s it! You can also do this without roasting the vegetables. Boil vegetables in pot with chicken or vegetable broth until soft, season to preference, and then place in blender with Greek yogurt and blend well!
6. When baking, instead of using one cup oil, replace with ¾ cup Greek yogurt. One cup of canola is roughly 1,920 calories, whereas ¾ cup fat free Greek yogurt is roughly 100 calories. That’s a 1,820 calorie reduction! If you’re using butter, use one stick of butter and ¼ cup Greek yogurt instead of using two sticks of butter (1,600 calories). This will save you 764 calories!
7. The next time you make a smoothie, add Greek yogurt! This will increase the amount of protein and help you feel fuller!